Canadian private sector privacy legislation requires organizations to build privacy policies that outline how they collect, use and disclose their customers’ personal information. The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) sets the ground rules for how private-sector organizations collect, use, and disclose personal information in the course of for-profit, commercial activities across Canada.
THE TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Personal Identification Information
By “personal information”, we mean information that directly identifies you or by which we can identify you. The personal information that we typically collect from our Members includes contact information (name, home address, home phone number, business address, business phone number, cellular number and e-mail addresses) as well as birthdate and the name of a Members spouse and children. We may collect personal identification information from you in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when you visit our website, subscribe to newsletter, respond to a survey, fill out a form, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our website. You may be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address, mailing address, phone number. You may, however, visit our website anonymously. We will collect personal identification information from you only if you voluntarily submit such information to us. You can always refuse to supply personally identification information, but it may prevent you from engaging in certain website related activities.
Non-personal identification information
We may collect non-personal identification information about you whenever you interact with our website. Non-personal identification information may include your device and browsing information, including information about your phone, tablet, computer, or device, and online browsing activity (collectively, “automatically collected information”). Automatically collected information may include IP addresses, unique device identifiers, cookie identifiers, device and browser settings and information, and internet service provider information. Automatically collected information also may include information about when and how you access and use our website, such as the date and time of your visit or use, the websites you visit before coming and after leaving our website, how you navigate our website and the website pages and items you view.
HOW AND WHY WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
In general, we collect personal information required for the Club's operational use, including contact information, demographic information and information about individual preferences. We collect information on our website, during calls with you, and while you are on Club premises.
The Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club may collect and use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To process membership applications and administer memberships
- To provide secure access to facilities, products and services
- To improve customer service; respond to your customer service request and support your needs more efficiently
- To tailor services to meet individual preferences – We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our users as a group use the services and resources provided on our website.
- To improve our website – We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and services.
- To process payments – We may use the information you provide about yourself when placing an order only to provide service to that order. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to provide the service.
- To administer surveys, contests, promotions or other features – To send information you agreed to receive about topics we think will be of interest to you.
- To communicate information about our facilities, products and services – We may use the email address to send information and updates pertaining to our facilities, products and services. It may also be used to respond to enquiries, questions, and/or other requests. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
You can review and change your personal information by contacting us by email at email@example.com or writing to us at the address specified in the “Contact Us” section. We rely on you to inform us of changes to your contact or other relevant information (e.g., name, address, telephone number, change of status etc.). We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
Due to the nature of the internet, however, no data transmission over the internet is fully secure. Please be aware of this before you send us any personal information through the website as the RCYC cannot guarantee that any information that you transmit to us will not be intercepted and/or misused by third parties.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal identification information to others. We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for purposes outlined above. However, in general we do not share personal information about you with third parties for third party marketing or advertising purposes.
We may use third party service providers to help us operate our business and the website or administer activities on our behalf, such as sending out newsletters or surveys. We may share your information with these third parties for those limited purposes provided that you have given us your permission.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS
By using this website, you signify your acceptance of this policy. If you do not agree to this policy, please do not use our website. Your continued use of the website following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
The Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club
108 Greenslades Rd.
Conception Bay South, NL
Telephone: 709 834 1413
UPDATES TO THIS POLICY